These Wholesome Mashed Potatoes are creamy, completely scrumptious and made lighter with Greek yogurt, much less potatoes and a complete head of cauliflower! The proper aspect dish to your vacation desk or weeknight dinner.
Mashed potatoes have all the time been a staple aspect dish in my household rising up served with turkey on Thanksgiving and with our ham on Christmas. Sadly, potatoes are likely to get a nasty rap as a result of they’re larger in carbohydrates so folks assume they’re unhealthy, nevertheless the way you put together them is essential! For this wholesome mashed potato recipe, we’re slicing down on the potatoes and sneaking in a complete head of cauliflower for some further veg and utilizing protein-packed Greek yogurt to make this so creamy. In case you are searching for a low-carb choice although, my mashed cauliflower recipe is scrumptious!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- More healthy than conventional mashed potatoes and nonetheless so creamy.
- You’ll by no means guess a complete head of cauliflower is on this recipe!
- Simply made multi function pot in lower than an hour.
- Good aspect dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas or weeknight dinner.
Components You’ll Want
- potatoes – I personally want to make use of Yukon gold potatoes resulting from their pure yellow shade and buttery texture, however you can additionally use russet potatoes.
- cauliflower – provides in some further vitamin and permits us to make use of much less potatoes retaining this dish lighter and decrease in carbs. You’ll want one complete head of cauliflower.
- Greek yogurt – takes the place of bitter cream or cream cheese that’s sometimes utilized in mashed potato recipes and provides in some protein making these mashed potatoes so creamy.
- milk – I used unsweetened almond milk to chop down on the fats and energy that milk and cream historically carry to mashed potatoes, however be at liberty to make use of skim milk or any kind of milk you like.
- rooster broth – this provides further taste whereas permitting us to make use of much less milk. Should you don’t have low sodium rooster broth you need to use vegetable broth and even further milk.
- butter – you don’t want a number of butter in these more healthy mashed potatoes, however they certain do make such a distinction and provides them that traditional style. You can too use vegan butter as a dairy-free choice.
- seasonings – mixture of garlic powder (or you can use minced garlic cloves), salt and black pepper to season the mashed potatoes.
- contemporary herbs – that is optionally available, however I used a mix of contemporary thyme together with some contemporary chives to garnish these potatoes. You may additionally add in contemporary parsley, rosemary or sage.
Tips on how to Make Wholesome Mashed Potatoes
- Chop, chop, chop. Peel and reduce your potatoes into 2-inch chunks and chop the pinnacle of cauliflower into florets. Set them apart.
- Boil the potatoes. Place the potatoes solely (maintain off on the cauliflower for now) to a big pot of salted water and convey to a boil. Scale back the warmth to medium-low, cowl and let the potatoes simmer for about quarter-hour.
- Add the cauliflower. Add within the cauliflower florets and proceed to simmer for an extra 8 to 9 minutes, till cauliflower and potatoes are comfortable and fork tender.
- Mash. Drain the potatoes and cauliflower then add them again into the pot they had been cooked in. Add the milk, Greek yogurt, rooster broth, butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper and both mash utilizing a potato masher or mix the whole lot utilizing an electric mixer (or stand mixer) till you get your required consistency and a pleasant creamy texture. I personally want to make use of a hand mixer because it actually will get the mashed potatoes completely fluffy!
- Serve. Switch mashed potatoes to a bowl, style and season with extra salt and pepper, if wanted, and garnish with contemporary thyme and chives. Take pleasure in!
Tips on how to Serve Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes make an amazing vacation aspect, however they’re additionally scrumptious with different on a regular basis dinners! Listed below are a few of my favourite recipes to serve with these mashed potatoes.
Prepping and Storage
You possibly can retailer leftovers in a sealed-airtight container within the fridge for as much as 5 days. You possibly can simply reheat these mashed potatoes on the range high or within the microwave.
Extra Vacation Facet Dishes
Hope you all take pleasure in these Wholesome Mashed Potatoes and in case you love this recipe as a lot as we do, please go away me a five-star score beneath and don’t overlook to tag me on Instagram utilizing the hashtag #eatyourselfskinny! I like seeing all of your scrumptious recreations!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook dinner Time: 25 minutes
- Complete Time: 35 minutes
- 1 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and reduce into 2-inch cubes
- 1 massive head cauliflower, reduce into florets
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup low sodium rooster broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Garnish with contemporary thyme and chives
- Place the potatoes solely (maintain off on the cauliflower for now) to a big pot of salted water and convey to a boil. Scale back the warmth to medium-low, cowl and let the potatoes simmer for about quarter-hour.
- Add within the cauliflower florets and proceed to simmer for an extra 8 to 9 minutes, till cauliflower and potatoes are comfortable and fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and cauliflower then add them again into the pot they had been cooked in. Add the milk, Greek yogurt, rooster broth, butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Mash the potatoes utilizing a potato masher or mix the whole lot utilizing an electric hand mixer (or stand mixer) till you get a pleasant creamy texture. I personally want to make use of a hand mixer because it actually will get the potatoes completely fluffy!
- Switch mashed potatoes to a bowl, style and season with extra salt and pepper, if wanted, and garnish with contemporary thyme and chives. Take pleasure in!
- Serving Dimension: 1/sixth of recipe
- Energy: 165
- Sugar: 2.9 g
- Sodium: 249 mg
- Fats: 4.6 g
- Saturated Fats: 2.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.4 g
- Fiber: 5.4 g
- Protein: 6.1 g
* Please observe that every one vitamin info are simply estimates. Values will range amongst manufacturers, so we encourage you to calculate these by yourself for many correct outcomes.