sixteenth July 2012 • General • Stephanie Donaldson
I’ve to confess I’ve a severe (terracotta) pot behavior. I hold making an attempt to scale back the quantity I’ve within the backyard – however they’re simply so helpful. If a nook of the backyard is wanting a bit boring, or it’s a spot the place the circumstances aren’t proper for planting within the floor, issues can typically be improved by the addition of some pots. Anybody who has visited the fantastic gardens at Nice Dixter may have seen a masterclass in the usage of pots – ranged around the entrance door and within the close by courtyard, that is pot arranging at its singing-and-dancing greatest. Whereas I can’t aspire to Dixter-level showmanship, I’m fairly profitable and have just a few tricks to move on.
• Use a 50/50 mixture of multipurpose compost and John Innes No.2 – that is heavier, so it makes the pot extra steady, holds moisture in dry climate and drains effectively in moist climate (in contrast to water retaining gels)
• For tall vegetation or in windy places select straight-sided pots – they’re much much less prone to blow over
• Except they’re a matched pair, teams of pots look higher as odd numbers of 3s, 5s and even 7s in quite a lot of sizes
• Mulch the floor with gravel, bark or slate – this retains moisture in dry climate and within the moist it stops the soil splashing the leaves
• Within the present very moist climate, it’s simpler to guard greens grown in pots from slugs and snails
• Keep away from ‘fruit salad’ planting with numerous totally different colors in every pot – it’s seldom profitable and tends to look messy
• Liquid feed and deadhead commonly to make sure a long-lasting show
• Lengthy-term planting in containers must be top-dressed with compost or fish, blood and bone every spring
• Don’t be afraid to repeat a good suggestion – when you see one thing you want take a photograph and discover related vegetation within the backyard centre
• Select pots to enhance your own home and backyard – nothing too modern for a cottage backyard and nothing too rustic for a up to date backyard
[column width “30%” padding “4%”]
[/column]I’ve been trying out the net retailers ranges of pots and am moderately tempted by a few of these on provide from tesco. There are some actually trendy terracotta pots in addition to the Sankey Moroccan vary which seems to be like terracotta or granite however is definitely a sturdy plastic materials known as terracina. The costs are good too, so when you’re tempted to develop your personal pot behavior, this can be place to start out.